Monday, August 18, 2008

Freakonomics!


Mavii Sisters,

Do you know the connection between Roe vs. Wade and crime statistics?

Do Real Estate agents have your best interest at heart? Is there a way to measure this?

Does the amount of money spent by political candidates matter to the outcome of the election?

Is there a way to measure if school teachers cheat on standardized testing?


These are issues that are discussed in the opening chapters of our book. Quite fascinating actually. I hope you find it a thought provoking read.

The following are pictures of the various covers for this book in different countries. I was intrigued by this. Maybe this appeals to the marketer in me. But thought it was interesting. (Can you guess the countries?)







Anyway, thought a Mavii blog might be a very easy way to communicate. We will be able to post comments, initiate discussions and even provide encouragement to each other when we have a particularly tough read -- and of course, this blogsite will be a good way to keep in touch. I am sure we can even post a Mavii calendar on this site. It is easy to upload photos and link to websites. Who knows, maybe we will decide to share our reading list and our analysis/approval ratings with other bookclubs!

Picture this ... instead of reading 6 or 7 emails each time we plan a gathering, this blog can be your 'one stop source of all things Mavii!'

This is simply a quick attempt at sending out a prototype. Want your feedback before investing any more time. (Total time invested thus far, maybe 30 minutes if you count bathroom break, phone call, and attending to dinner. My point, this is not time consuming. It should actually save us some time!)

Hope to read your replies soon!

8 comments:

bookbabe said...

Oh so cool! I love it! No time to be tres' creative but I will certainly be back soon. With all of the Mavii's combined years of education, you would think we would have thought of this sooner!

xoxox to all.

Sister Kim said...

Awesome, Lisa. Hey, I'm going out on a limb here, but I think cover #7 is from an Asian country!!!
Sister Kim

Lisa said...

bookbabe -- who are you? So mysterious!

Kim, you are so clever!

Can't wait to hear from everybody else!

Sister Lisa

Sister Kim said...

Sister Lisa -- How do I start a new "topic" within this blog? Is there a place to click that I'm missing, or is everything just done as a comment to the original post? Clearly, I am revealing myself as a blogging virgin!

Lisa said...

Sister Kim,aka 'virgin blogger',

As always, your question is on point. I probably needed to share the log on info. with everyone so ALL Mavii can blog to their hearts content!

Go to: www.blogspot.com
Username is: maviibookclub
password: bookclub

That should put you in the admin. area where you can do whatever you want! Write a blog, change our background (that would be fun!), add some gadgets (obviously I had too much fun doing that yesterday as I ignored my bill paying responsibilities!) or whatever!

If the username/password combo. don't work, let me know. On my laptop, I am automatically recognized/signed in when I go to blogspot -- so I can't verify that info. without going to my other computer. Heaven forbid I would have to venture through my house!

Love you! Have you identified bookbabe?

Lisa

Dawn said...

HI Sisters!!!! I just love this idea. Lisa, you are a phe-nom. Kinda the Michael Phelps of the Mavii!
Should we share recipies, too? (wink)

Seriously, great idea. I have it bookmarked so I can get here quickly. Thank you Sister Lisa. No, I haven't started Freak-a-zoid. I went to Target and it was 20 dollars! I will check at half price and see what I can find.

***Who is the mystery shopper???
We could start a survey on that, too!

bookbabe said...

Just stopped by for a minute to see if anyone has decided to join our conversation! Where is everyone?
While I find Lisa, Kim and Dawn fasinating, it woud be so much more fun to have the whole group participating!
Come on now ladies!

Lisa said...

Bookbabe,

While your identity is a mystery, your enthusiasm is contagious! You go girl! But do you need to 'go' at 3am. I see your post time girl. You have insomnia! Hope you have a good book to read while you are up!